Dear St. John family,
This past weekend we became aware of a childcare staff member who tested positive for COVID-19. We are also hearing of cases within our community and state rising again. At our Tuesday morning staff meeting, we discussed how this might impact our Re-Entry into In-Person Gatherings Plan shared with you at the beginning of June.
- After consulting with local health experts, and while not mandated, we closed the Preschool & Childcare Center for the week of 6.29.20-7.3.20 to provide time for all PCC staff to be tested. This also allows for additional cleaning on the lower level by a contracted cleaning service to be done this week. While a very difficult decision, under these circumstances, we felt it best to err on the side of caution.
- We are maintaining our current level of gatherings as set forth in our Re-Entry Plan for small groups and worship -- continuing with outdoor worship at 9am on Sunday mornings in the courtyard and livestreaming that service on FB (with posting to the St. John website after the service concludes). Sunday’s service is also broadcast on Wednesdays at 6pm on CFU Channel 18 as another way to share in worship together. If you are in a high-risk group, we encourage you to continue worshipping with us online or by TV.
- We encourage you to wear a mask while at church out of love for others. At this time, our staff are wearing masks when they are in common areas (outside of their individual office space).
- Social distancing from non-family members is also encouraged and we will continue our practice of no group singing on Sunday mornings during worship.
- Our largest outside use groups -- ZUMBA, AA and AlAnon -- have all indicated they will not return to use St. John’s facility until this fall.
- Vacation Bible School (VBS) is tentatively scheduled for the first week of August. While details are still being worked out, the curriculum selected can be adapted to fit either in-person, at home, or a hybrid approach. The same matrix being used to determine which Phase of the Re-Entry Plan we are in for worship will be applied to VBS. Families should watch for additional information mid-July.
will full gatherings and other activities resume?
The decision of when we might resume our “normal” Sunday morning schedule hinges on the health of our community. The situation is fluid, and the health and safety of our congregation and community is our priority. Each week we continue to review the health data for Black Hawk County and will make that decision with input from the Church Council and the Worship Resource Team.
This is a special opportunity for St. John to “joyfully take God’s love into the world!” – invite others to share in the outdoor worship opportunity, spread the news that our worship service is being broadcast on Wednesday nights, and demonstrate what “loving your neighbor” means and looks like during this time!
St. John Church Staff & Leadership